V3 & V4 Appliance Quick Start
This guide is a quick start guide to the Version 3 and 4 Swivel Secure Appliances.
The appliance will come with a pre-configured IP address depending on appliance type:
HA Primary (192.168.0.36)
HA Standby (192.168.0.37)
If this IP address is compatible with your network you can plug an ethernet cable into eth0 (labelled Gb1) and access the appliance via SSH.
Alternatively you can access by plugging in an ethernet cross-over cable into eth0
Accessing Appliance Menus
To access the appliance menus you secure-shell onto the appliance. From a Windows machine you can use a terminal emulator capable of SSH connections, such as putty. From a Linux machine you can simply use the ssh command. SSH access is via the standard port 22.
When you access the appliance you will be prompted for a username and password. The default settings for this are:
- V3 and V4.0 appliances:
- V4.1 and later appliances:
Once you have logged on you will be presented with the top level menu. Sub-menus are accessed by simply pressing the number of the item required followed by <Enter>
On certain actions you will be asked to enter Y to continue. Entering any other character or just entering return will cause the action to be cancelled. To maintain compatibility with v2, entering “yes” will also work.
NOTE Refer to our PuTTY How To Guide for detailed instructions and screenshots.
Important You should update an appliance prior to installation to ensure it is running the optimum versions and settings
You can find the Webmin guide here.
Setting Hostname IP Address
If you are using an Cloud-based appliance, IP addresses must be set by DHCP.
You will need to set the IP address(es) of the appliance. To do this use the access the Network Menu and do the following
- Use the change hostname to set the hostname. Recommended to make this a meaningful, eg swivel.yourcompany. If this appliance is part of an HA installation include the appliance type eg primary.swivel.yourcompany.
- Set the Network settings for ETH0. This is the main interface, you may not need to change the ETH1 settings as this is used for database replication (ref Setting up HA)
- Set DNS servers. This may not be required at this stage but will be required if the Swivel Appliance will need to perform DNS resolution, eg for sending emails or SMS messages via named hosts.
Starting and Stopping Tomcat
Swivel applications run within Tomcat so you will only be able to access them when Tomcat is running. Tomcat will start automatically when the appliance starts and the status of Tomcat is shown on the main screen and on the Tomcat menu screen.
Should you need to manually start or stop Tomcat, this is possible from the Tomcat menu.
Accessing the Swivel Applications
With the ETH0 address set to <IP Address> you will be able to access the following applications from a browser:
Swivel Core admin console https://<IP Address>:8080/pinsafe. For version 4, this should be https://<IP Address>:8080/sentry.
Swivel User (Self Service) Portal https://<IP Address>:8443/userportal
Swivel Proxy https://<IP Address>:8443/proxy
- The Swivel Proxy has no user interface but acts as a proxy for image and message requests e.g. https://<IP Address>:8443/proxy/SCImage?username=test should result in a TURing image being displayed.